Tuesday 8 December 2009

Stalin vs. Trotsky...

I don't want to give the impression that I can now freely absorb Russian media. Tonight I returned to my favourite past time of trying to absorb its televisual offerings regardless of how little I understand. The reason being I'd spotted an advertisement for a documentary looking at the leadership battle between Stalin and Trotsky following the death of Lenin.

To be fair I was impressed by the amount of contemporary film clips that made up much of the documentary, its always nice to see the faces of history walking and talking in front of you. Still my following of proceedings was far more reliant on my historical knowledge than my understanding of the language. Unfortunately that also means my review is somewhat limited. Well at least we know who won...

Tomorrow, since I have a free day from classes, I plan to continue in history mode and both revisit the Museum of Political History - in the hope I can spend a couple of hours testing my translation skills on displayed documents - as well as its branch dedicated to the secret police over by the Admiralty. Riveting stuff. I told you this wasn't a holiday...

No comments:

Post a Comment