Monday 14 December 2009

The English National Character...

If there's one thing I can be sure of, one accomplishment that cannot be taken away, one thing that above all else I can look back with pride on during my time here in Russia, its the fact that I have introduced my teacher to Monty Python.

What started out as an inquiry into the English mentality - in other words our defining national characteristics - pointed me to that key ingredient, our sense of humour. Cutting aside all the anthropological jargon, the case studies and the statistical data, leaving behind stereotypes and surveys, what better way to learn about the oddities, eccentricities and contradictions at the core of 'us' than by what makes us laugh?

Either way its a bloody funny sketch. And a shop with nothing to buy rang surprisingly true for a Russian audience...(I almost feel a sociological study coming on!)

No comments:

Post a Comment