Saturday 28 June 2014

A city that never sleeps?

I've returned to Petersburg just days after the summer solstice. It's quite a contrast to December. The sky is still blue at 11:30pm (local time) and the only thing stopping me from being kept awake by the light evening is the sleep deprivation a 2:00am (GMT) start provides.

You've seen this view from my apartment window countless times. I'll see if I can update it with something a little more spectacular during my trip (as long as I don't run the risk of missing the last metro home!).

[Edit] As promised, another view of the city with the late evening sunshine. This was taken after a performance of opera in the grounds of the Peter and Paul Fortress.

Crossing 'Trinity Bridge' after 9:00pm, you can see the quality of light this late in the day. Its now about two weeks after my original post and its still light at 11:00pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment